About Berkshire Credit Union
Who Are We?
BERKSHIRE CREDIT UNION is the trading name of Community Savings & Loans (Berkshire Credit Union) Ltd and is the Credit Union for anyone who:
- Either live, work or study in the County of Berkshire and the surrounding area (in addition if you live in the same household of an existing member you can also join).
- Or work irrespective of location for any of the organisations that operate a save as you earn scheme with BERKSHIRE CREDIT UNION
- Or are members of certain named organisations involved in energy savings and the alleviation of fuel poverty.
The surrounding area of Berkshire is defined as North Hampshire, South Buckinghamshire & South Oxfordshire.
We are a traditional community Credit Union that offers ethical savings and affordable loans to our members. We are the local alternative to high street banks , internet, doorstep and payday loan lenders.
BERKSHIRE CREDIT UNION is a co-operative social enterprise owned, managed and run by its members and volunteers ( we have only a very small team of part time paid staff to provide the key back office functions).
Our core objectives are:
- Promotion of thrift among its members by the accumulation of their savings.
- Creation of sources of credit for the members at a fair and reasonable cost.
- Training and education of members in the management of their financial affairs.
In addition we have Young Savers and School Saving Clubs (Star Saver) initiatives to encourage children into good financial management from the start.
Like Banks and Building Societies, BERKSHIRE CREDIT UNION is fully regulated by the Bank of England (registration number is 457045).
The Story So Far
A group of local people first got together in Reading in 2003 to bring the benefits of a Credit Union to the town. The group led by Stephen Magee worked steadily to gather support from local organisations and in 2007 the Reading Credit Union began its operations when member number one was signed up.
The Reading Credit Union grew steadily and by early 2009 had over 400 saving members and a developing loans business. During this period many requests were received from other communities across the county of Berkshire to expand its area of operations.
As a result in 2009, a Project Group was set up to expand the Reading Credit Union. The project successfully completed its work when in August 2010, Community Savings and Loans (Berkshire Credit Union) Ltd came into being. This new organisation, building outwards from Reading now covers all areas of Berkshire.
In Jan 2015 the Directors decided that the organisation and the community would be better served if the Credit Union traded as BERKSHIRE CREDIT UNION.
We are now seeking new volunteers and organisations to bring our services to every local community. Find out more.