Why is getting into the habit of saving such a good idea? Putting aside money is an important first step in planning for the future. It provides something to fall back on when the unexpected happens and helps give peace of mind.
In todays world a lot of bills are paid annually (e.g. car insurance & servicing) and its a lot easier to pay if you have been saving every month for them.
We at BERKSHIRE CREDIT UNION encourage you to get into the habit of saving by putting some money away regularly however small.
By becoming a saver at BERKSHIRE CREDIT UNION you could receive a dividend (an equal share in our profits), have a say in how we run the organisation, and become more likely to be eligible to for a loan at a good rate of interest.
Unlike other Credit Unions we don't charge an initial set up fee.
You can also open joint accounts (gives you an advantage when applying for a loan).
After you have made your initial investment of at least £10 to become a member, you can save regularly from as little as £1 per week up to a maximum savings of £15,000 (£30,000 for joint accounts)
We have the following accounts
Ready to open an account with us?
|MEMBERSHIP - Apply ONLINE|
You can now join our Credit Union online.
Just fill out the form.
|MEMBERSHIP - Apply in CONTACT POINT
Alternatively, you can download the application form, fill it out and join in our local contact point.
Download Membership Application Form (67.8kb)
The membership application form is a PDF document and Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to the view it. Adobe Acrobat Reader can be downloaded for free by clicking on the Get Acrobat Reader icon.
To become a member you will need to fill in Membership Application Form, which you can download by clicking on the link below, and bring it with you to credit union office along with following:
- Photo ID - Passport or Drivers Licence
- Proof of Address - Utility Bill or Bank Statement
- Initial deposit of £10 (cash or cheque)
Our Credit Union lets people in the community come together to save and borrow money at low rates, and is operated on a not-for-profit basis, with surpluses being returned to members.
Once we have seen & verified all your documents and received the initial deposit (minimum of £10) we can open your account and you can start to save!
Remember to be a member of BERKSHIRE CREDIT UNION you must:
- Either live, work or study in the County of Berkshire and the surrounding area (in addition if you live in the same household of an existing member you can also join)
- Or work irrespective of location for any of the organisations that operate a save as you earn scheme with BERKSHIRE CREDIT UNION
- Or be a member of a specified organisation that is involved in energy conservation and saving.
The surrounding area of Berkshire is defined as North Hampshire, South Buckinghamshire & South Oxfordshire.
How do I put money into my account?
There are a few ways you can put money into your account:
- Cash/Cheque at one of our contact points not by post. Cheques should be made out to Community Savings and Loans Ltd.
- Standing Order, you can get help with this by contacting us here. ClickDownload Standing Order Mandate (58.9kb)
- Bank Transfer, you can pay directly into your credit union account, by making a bank transfer to The Cooperative Bank, Sort code: 08-92-50, Account number : 67004913. You MUST quote your member number as a reference. Get help with this by contacting us here.
- Save as you earn, if you are employed by an organisation that has signed up to BERKSHIRE CREDIT UNIONs payroll deduction scheme you can save part of your salary on a regular basis, click here.
- Paypoint, you can request a paypoint card for your account to pay in at any Post Office and accepting retailers.
How do I take money out of my account?
For security reasons, you can only take money out of your account by
EITHER sending us a completed and signed withdrawal form by post, email or handing it in at one of our contact points
OR by using your online account. If you havent get got an online account please register by clicking on REGISTER ACCESS tab at the top right of this page.
There is also a pre-arranged emergency telephone banking
Please note we do not
- Pay out cash, all withdrawals are made by bank transfers or loading your Engage debit card.
- Provide instant access but endeavour to meet all withdrawal requests within a maximum of one working day.
If you would like to find out how easy it is to start saving, or want to talk about your financial situation come in see us . Click here to find your nearest office at a time that suits you.
The Financial Services Compensation Scheme
BERKSHIRE CREDIT UNION members savings are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, click here for more details.